Friday, October 13, 2006

Office 2.0 Conference

After reading Bryan's post:

Collaboration and Web 2.0 Applications

I followed some links and found the Office 2.0 Conference. If you are wondering what Office 2.o is hear is quote from the page:
"Imagine a computer that never crashes, or gets infected by a virus. Imagine a computer onto which you never have to install any application. Imagine a computer that follows you wherever you go, be it at school, at work, abroad, or back home."


Oh no a computer that follows me wherever I go! My worst fear is realized!

No seriously. It seems pretty cool. If you check out some the site sponsor that have some interesting offerings. I don't see it as an end to desktop applications or free applications for everyone. Maybe the end to desktop office applications.

I would be interest to know if there are any open source "Office 2.0" applications. I could imagine some big organization like UF hosting their own Office 2.0 version on their servers. Then anybody with UF ID could log into to use it .

1 comment:

GatorBat said...

There was some talk about publishing an online version of open office a few years back (when things like Writely.com launched), but I haven't been find anything more recent. I believe that we'll have to use things like Google Docs and Spreadsheets or Zoho office for now.