Friday, October 13, 2006

Camstudio: Free Camtasia Alternative

So I was looking for a program to record a video for my job and I found a free alternive to Camtasia, Camstudio . It is free and open source. I have not tried Camtasia but it seems it might do a lot more than this one. For my purposes though Camstudio was great. It is very easy to use. It records to AVI using different compression codec. I found the MPEG-4 setting was better than the default one.

Also it will export your file to a flash, swf file for the web.

Here is a video I made with it.





9 comments:

GCP Girl said...

That sounds like a great program. Thanks for the heads up. I keep meaning to try out Camtasia because I hear such good things about it, so maybe now I'll have a chance. Are you using this for any of your projects this semester or just learning it for fun?

tedbow said...

Keith,
I was just going to use this for a video to show some coworkers how to do something. Really I was able to make a video within 5 minutes of downloading it.

GatorBat said...

How Steep did you find the learning curve to be for Camtasia Ted? I have used it very little, but my limited exposure leads me to think it is fairly accessible to the general public.

Anonymous said...

Just really love you guys… what fantastic and well researched information. Thank you bunches.

Anonymous said...

Willingly I accept. In my opinion, it is actual, I will take part in discussion. Together we can come to a right answer.

Anonymous said...

And how it to paraphrase?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, thanks for an explanation. As always all ingenious is simple.

Anonymous said...

And how in that case to act?

maccolar said...

This is awesome! Great find. I'd also recommend Acethinker Free Screen Recorder which I have used for many years. It is a web-based tool that lets you record your screen right from your browser. You don't have to install any additional plug-ins or add-ons. Share it here as an alternative to camstudio.